30 December 2008

Tagged - Top Ten Rules for Life ... and a PS

Thanks, Ruth, for tagging me. What a difficult task this is turning out to be. I'm sure I'll remember the most important one after I've listed 10 others!

So, in no particular order, here they are:
  1. Take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity (Dad's maxim, which I'm sure I've mentioned endless times before)
  2. Look after no 1 (oh, if only I could) and take time out to think/plan/switch off
  3. Never play to win (then with luck you will)!
  4. Never mention the 'D'(iet) word
  5. Think positive/be optimistic/enjoy life. Don't be negative/pessimistic/miserable
  6. Never start a 5-minute job if you only have 5 minutes to spare (you know they always take at least half a day to complete!)
  7. Rise above it (whatever 'it' may be)
  8. Don't waste time worrying about what might happen (there'll be time enough to worry when it does)
  9. Always keep an eye on the cars ahead, not just the one you're following
  10. Remember it costs nothing to say 'please' and 'thank you'
Not as difficult as I thought. Nothing profound but maybe some food for thought.

This is my somewhat tongue-in-cheek analysis of them: no 1 worked; no 2 would be nice; no 3 - Mum always won games when I was a child by this method (still don't know how she managed it); diet? what diet?; I'm generally optimistic and like to think the best of people (until they let themselves down); I work best under pressure so no 6 is for you rather than me; I've risen above so many undercurrents I'll soon be walking on water; no 8 is true and it really is such a waste of time worrying, especially when you find 'it' doesn't happen and all the worrying was unnecessary; no 9 is just sensible; no 10 would make the world a much nicer place!


I wonder if these might do as my New Year's Resolutions. They should be easier to keep than the sort I normally make!

Update: I knew I'd think of another one!

  1. Resort to resources!

If it doesn't make sense, then I'll explain! Remember Bob-a-Job? Does it still happen? Well, one Bob-a-Job week in the late 1950s/early 60s a young Cub Scout knocked on our door. Mum gave him the job of cleaning our garage doors (wooden ones with panes of glass at the top). I think it was just a case of sweeping the dust off them rather than a full 'wash and brush up' (and payment was a 'bob' , slang for a shilling or, in today's market a mere 5p). Anyway, he was only a small chap, and when Mum went out to see how he was getting on he said that because he was too short to reach the top of the doors he had 'resorted to resources' and found something in the garage to stand on so that he could do the job properly. We've never forgotten this and from time to time when Mum or I have struggled to do something, one or other of us has said 'we'll just have to resort to resources' . So, the moral of the story is ... use whatever is available to you to get the job done; make the most of what life has given you; you can still do a good job, even if you haven't got what you think is the necessary tool for the purpose.

I realise I should have tagged others. I know you are all longing to do this one, so rather than name individuals I shall leave this open to anyone who'd like to give it a try. Just leave me a message so I can pop over and see what your rules for life are!

7 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

I like your rules, especially the one about the five minute jobs and the first one about the opportunities. What is it with Dad's and sayings?! Somehow they stick in your mind don't they? When Ruth tagged me I expected to find it hard and started typing without knowing what I was going to say but then it all just came out from somewhere!

Mel xxx

Shammickite said...

I love your rules, so sensible and they work! I agree, worrying never got anyone anywhwere, I have to remember that in the future when those worry thoughts start rushing through my head.
I wish you and your family good health, lots of joy, and happy times throughut 2009!
I'm making some changes this year.... it's a time for new beginnings and for DECLUTTERING!

Niki Fretwell said...

Well done Sue - this makes you come across as a very positive and optimistic person. And, as I have the pleasure of knowing you personally, I know this to be true - thanks for all your support in 2008. You have helped me to change and to become stronger.

Happy New Year to you and Pauley - It's going to be a great one!
Niki x

LinenandRoses said...

What a really great list. I will definitely be using some of these thoughts in 2009. I particularly like no. 8 as I am such a worrier and I actually gave myself a little talking to just last night that I really should stop worrying about things that may never happen and start enjoying the moment more. Definitely one to stick to in 2009 especially, it being my Wedding year. Hope you have a lovely new years eve whatever you're doing. As ever, it has been lovely chatting to you every so often this last year. Maybe in 2009 I might finally get myself down to your part of the world to visit your lovely antique centre. Wishing you a very happy, healthy and successful 2009. Fiona x

The Hardy Quilters said...

Hi Sue
Thanks for you nice comments on my work. I think your rules are great too. I don't have many!! I am hopeless about things like that but have always tried to be a Mrs. Doasyouwouldbedoneby except not returning all the negative stuff that gets thrown at me sometimes. I think 'don't let the ...........s grind you down' springs to mind. Happy New Year and see you sometime no doubt.
Liz

Valentine Hearts said...

Hi Sue,

Thanks for popping over to see me, nice to see some friendly people...I don't get many visitors. I'm glad I found your blog, I spent all day yesterday looking at where to find flea markets etc and drew a blank. I'll have to get some courage,get behind the wheel and travel this year.

Happy New Year Jackie x

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Wishing you a wonderful New Year ahead!
Love,
Debbie Moss