09 July 2008

Giant Flea and A Rag Market ... and a Dairy House update

Sue Ede has managed to secure this coming Sunday, 13 July, for an extra Giant Flea Market at Shepton Mallet. The weather doesn't sound too promising, but those of us inside should benefit (and no Niki, no raindance!). There has been nothing at Shepton since the middle of May so I'm sure all our regular shoppers must be suffering from withdrawal symptoms and will be on the look-out for a bargain.

In view of the small hire car I'm using (see previous post) I won't be able to take the mountains of stock I usually manage to squash in the car, so I've decided to take as much 'SALE' stock as possible - kitchenalia pieces at £1.00 each, damask table cloths at £5.00, and other linen and textiles priced between £1.00 and £5.00.

I shall also be taking a few cross-stitch kits and threads, lace, buttons, Christening and baby gowns, eiderdowns and quilts at normal prices just in case anyone feels the need to spend some serious money!!


There's an interesting 'Fair' coming up at the beginning of August in HONITON. If you can make your way there I think you'll find it was worth the trip. I've not done one of these RAG MARKETS before but I'm told they're great fun and a good opportunity to clear out our stores and workrooms etc. This is an ideal place for teachers and those who use oddments of fabric etc in their work to replenish their stocks. Prices will be low and you are likely to find bundles and bags of goodies for just a couple of pounds. One dealer told me that at the last one the highest price she had on anything was £5.00, so there will be plenty of bargains to be had.


A RAG
MARKET

A MUST FOR DESIGNERS, QUILTERS AND
NEEDLEWOMEN

Bargains, Studio and Workshop Clearance
Old, Vintage and Modern Fabrics,
Haberdashery, Fashion Items, Linens and
Patchworks

A Date Not to be Missed for Any Creative Person.

Treasures From the Trunks of Our
West Country Textile Dealers and Artists

SATURDAY 2nd AUGUST 2008
MACKARNESS HALL, HONITON
DEVON

10am to 4pm

HYSON FAIRS Ltd
Tel: 01647 231 459 Fax: 01647 231 659
email
shyson@freenetname.co.uk

Dairy House Antiques update: I was thrilled that my article about Dairy House Antiques was in last week's copy of the Antiques Trade Gazette (the trade 'bible'). There was a great photo and the text read well. I was even more delighted when we had a visit yesterday afternoon from a dealer who lives near Salisbury who came after reading the article. She hadn't known of our existence but left with several items, and will be returning regularly. I can't believe it's 3 months since I took over. Those 3 months have been a success, with sales each month well in excess of last year which, in view of the current economic climate, is very encouraging. The Dairy House website now has a steady stream of visitors, and a number of new contacts have been made because of it. I've now added a gallery page showing photos taken throughout the building. If you haven't seen it do have a look if you have a minute or 2 to spare.

4 comments:

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Hello I`m Debbie, and new to the blogland ...
I was wondering if you would like to exchange links with me has I also have a website and similar tastes to yours.
Kisses Kisses
Debbie

Shammickite said...

Everything seems to be going well in your new venture, coingratulations! I really will drop in to see you next trip to UK... whenever that will be! I'm still posting stories about my trip, so pop on over to my blog and have a dekko.

Niki Fretwell said...

Can't wait for Sunday - forecast is looking better (but still no need for a rain dance!)....see you there!
Niki x

The fabric of my life said...

I should be there Sue, my first Shepton Flea :-)