25 September 2007

Headless and Legless ...

... but a body and a pair of arms are enough to be going on with! She'll make a good display at the next Fair - unless she sells beforehand.

Meet Daisy ...
She's had the beginnings of a makeover. As I began looking through the bumper lace purchase from the weekend I realised there were one or two rather nice pieces that would make her look a bit special. She doesn't really have a lot going for her without adornment, other than her Stockman name. As you can see, her hands are nowhere to be seen and her head is so in the clouds that it didn't come with her .. it probably ran away with her legs. But ... in every other respect she's a sweetie and has a lot to offer. I can't decide whether to sell her in her bare state, or whether to clothe her with acres of lace and sell her "dressed". Mind you, the more lace I add the more I love her and the more I would like to keep her.
But she is currently sharing our home with 4 other mannequins. I turn my back for 5 minutes and they seem to multiply. Absolutely nothing to do with me you understand ... I think they sneak in the back door when I'm not looking! Up to now I've been giving them names beginning with 'D' but I'm running out of appropriate names so have decided that any new ones will be given floral names. Giving children floral names was very popular in the late 18th and early 19th centuries and so would be contemporary with the mannequins I generally buy. If you feel Daisy should come to live with you, please email. She can be packed and posted for about £15. Her price will depend on whether she is dressed or travels naked!
I thought that apart from Dairy House on Thursday I had a free week this week, but so far I've been to Bath (just over an hour's drive) for a check-up at the dentists that I'd forgotten about, have to view a dresser tomorrow, and back to the dentist on Friday for a replacement filling. Yesterday is so long ago that I can't remember what I did other than attempt to empty the car and stagger through the day after the weekend. But while I was in Bath today I called at Rolfey's (some of you may have seen him in a TV programme on ITV, the name of which I can't remember) and bought 3 single linen sheets in excellent condition and an oval hanging barbola mirror.
I'll pop off now to look through the rest of the lace and maybe start pricing some of the vintage French fabrics that I found in that big wooden box in yesterday's post ...

4 comments:

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Sue

I couldn't help but think of 'Sleepy Hollow' when I saw your headless mannequin! She is quite the ethereal apparition - a touch of romance - and a bit spooky at the same time!!

Make sure you lock that back door tonight!

Clare x

Shammickite said...

Hi Sue: what a busy lady you are! Daisy is lovely, I wonder what happened to her legs and hands?
BTW, The Space Cadet told me I woke him up in the middle of the night shouting "Don't dig there, dig it elsewhere" Uhoh, I'm losin' it!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Daisy reminds me of those headless mannequins that used to line the department store aisles when I was a kid. She will be pretty with all of your touches. Do share your fabrics!!! What a fun shopping spree you had!!!

Becky

photowannabe said...

The lace is marvelous and so is the mannequin.
I love your chatty style when telling about your purchases.